Homemade Whipped Shea Butter Lotion

Friday, December 26, 2014

Let's talk about moisturizers and lotions.

I've always had an interest and fascination with beauty products. Everything from the fancy department store brands to the homemade and natural products. Forever on the hunt to find a life changing product lol 


There are a lot of products out there that are pumped fill of chemicals...that in the long term can do way more harm than good. I'm not talking about breakouts or dry skin. I'm talking about long term health effects.
Admittedly, I've been known to take the easy route and opt for synthetic store bought version. It's hard to commit to natural deodorant when Secret is so effective (but toxic eek!!) More on that later though.

Since my diagnosis (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ), I've taken a closer look at what I'm putting IN and ON my body.
Consider this: Your skin is your largest organ and it's porous. Anything you apply topically can be absorbed through your pores, enter your bloodstream, and end up inside your body (More on DownToEarth.org) 

So it makes sense that you want to keep your beauty regime filled with natural products. A good rule of thumb: If you wouldn't eat it, avoid putting it on your skin. 

Why use Shea Butter?

It naturally has ability to soothe, hydrate & balance your skin.
It works wonders on eczema, chapped lips, cracked heals, dry needs and elbows

Shea butter also has natural anti-inflammatory properties to heal scrapes, cuts and burns; relieve sunburn rashes and insect bites; and ease muscle fatigue and arthritis.

Not enough reasons for you? Maybe it's anti-aging properties will convince you! It can help rebuild and rejuvenate collagen. Translation: Less wrinkles!

Important to note: Raw shea butter maintains its therapeutic but refined, processed shea butter loses almost all of its healing properties.

Ok on to the good stuff...How to Make your own lotion!

Ingredients: (PS I felt like a mini chemist making this haha) 

  • 4 oz Unrefined Shea Butter  (I have this: 100% Unrefined Organic Shea Butter )
  • 2 Tbsp Oil (You can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil)
  • 10-20 Drops Essential oils (optional) 
  • electric whisks mixer
  • Mixing Bowl 
  • Jars to store your Shea Butter Lotion- I found mine on amazon but you can get creative! Here the the ones I bought! Glass 2 oz Salve Jar 4 pk
The How to:
  • I measured my shea butter using my kitchen scale. 
  • Put 4 oz of shea butter in a bowl and mash it with a fork. 
  • Add your base oil of choice & mash it around. 
  • Mix with electric mixer
  • Add essential oils (opt.) 
  • Put your whipped Shea Butter Lotion in a clean jar(s) and close it.

    Store in dry, dark and cool place. Room temperature works great!
    It should keep for 1-2 years. 
For my VISUAL learners, here is how it went down:
A big bag of beige :P 


I broke the recipe down to 1 oz so I could try different essential oils 



Now just a little forewarning. It will not be as convenient as the chemical laden products we are used it.
If your whipped lotion is in a cool place, you may need to let it melt in your hands before applying. And your skin/hands may feel a little greasy until it absorbs. Trust me, it's totally worth it!
Just remember, "A little dab 'ill do ya"  aka a little goes a long way!

This works awesome as an after-shower or nightly moisturizer.
 
Credit to my BEAUTIFUL friend Lindsay Stay for teaching me all about this! Visit her awesome blog at http://staywellsunshine.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. This looks great and something that I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing beautiful information. Shea Butter is skins best friend. Use raw, unrefined, Grade A Shea Butter . There are many refined Shea butters that are odor free and bleached to be completely white, but the refining process removes some of the beneficial properties. The more uses of African Shea Butter here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to know about the Homemade Shea Butter Lotion. Natural Handmade soaps are beneficial because they don't have chemical additives that can harm or damage the skin. This Organic Shea Butter Lotion really helps to keeps the skin healthy and attractive.

    ReplyDelete

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -